Saturday, February 21, 2009

2/20/09-T.G.I. Friday's, Hamden, CT

If you don't know, there is a coupon on TGI Friday's website for buy one entree, get one free--only good till March, so hurry! It is a good deal and the only reason we went here for dinner. Actually, an experience at Friday's a few years back is what got me on this path of trying non-chain restaurants and it was the best thing for me. Tom was one of the electricians on the job when Friday's was renovating and I couldn't believe it when he told me most of the food they serve is microwaved. Not long after, we were out to dinner for my sisters birthday and I had ordered a double-decker quesadilla but had asked that they go easy on the peppers--that's when the waitress told me that it came frozen and premade so they would be unable to do that--I was horrified. Has this what American has come down to? Frozen, prepared food? From then on, I decided that whenever possible, I was going to avoid the chain restaurants and give my hard-earned money to those who cook great meals using their ingenuity, skills, fresh ingredients, not already prepared dishes. This is not to say that I will never go to these places--on occasion I will go (and yes, the coupons do help) but there are so many other amazing places to try and different foods to experience.

I digress.

For our entrees, I was told that the ribs were not available because they had to cook (what?!) so I had the Jack Daniel's sirloin with a side of french fries--steak was glazed with the Jack sauce which is nice and tangy--no veggies on my plate though--seems as if the portions were scaled back a bit. Tom had the Bruchetta Chicken Pasta, which he enjoyed. For dessert, we ordered the Brownie Explosion, which was good, but not as good as i remember. The brownie was not warmed and there was a bit of a lack of presentation, but maybe I expect too much. In all, a good deal, but we wouldn't even had gone if it wasn't for the coupon.

www.fridays.com

No comments: