Sunday, June 24, 2012

6/19/12-Joey Garlic's, Newington, CT

I haven't been to Joey Garlic's in quite some time, so it was nice to make a return visit with Dan. Admittedly, the last time Tom and I ate here, we weren't thrilled with what we had so I've been wanting to give this local favorite another shot.

When we arrived, even though it was a Tuesday night, the place was packed and people were waiting for tables--wow! Since we were on a time constraint, we sat down at the bar. In looking over the menu, I wanted something on the smaller side--if you didn't know, this place has HUGE portions. I couldn't have anything that required me to take leftovers home, so I was looking at the salads when I came across one called "Meatball Salad". Hmm, sounds weird and kinda gross, but intriguing at the same time. Dan encourages me to get it for just those reasons, so I did. This salad had everything but the kitchen sink in it--lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, red onion, capers, peppers, etc--and three meatballs drenched in marinara sauce on top of it all, with a large hunk of garlic bread on the side. This was entirely too big to finish but I did my best before I threw in the towel (leftover salad that's already been dressed? ick, no thank you.) Dan ordered his fav--the cheesesteak grinder. Sadly, he ruined my amusement and ate the insides out with a fork--it was so huge, surely it would have made a mess if he tried to pick it up and eat it! He also had a coconut milkshake, which of course made me want one, so I got an Oreo milkshake to go--so delish! 

Dan and I had a nice dinner and I am happy to say that I'd be glad to return. Next time I'll plan to bring the leftovers home so Tom can enjoy my dinner too!

www.joeygarlics.com

No comments: