Sunday, May 20, 2012

5/20/12-The Stone House Restaurant, Guilford, CT

Tom and I decided to have brunch today after I got up from my "nap" this morning--and what a beautiful day for it! The Stone House is in a great location, so we were hoping that the quality of the food was on par with the view.

For starters, I had a French cheese plate with a few sliced apples, crackers and a strawberry, all nicely presented. The plate came with four different types of cheeses, but unfortunately no explanation as to what the selection was. Tom had sliced tomato and mozzarella with drizzled basil oil over the top--his appetizer looked great, he appreciated the shaved parmesan that was atop the dish as well. For our meal, I had the French sausage and brie omelet, which came with potatoes and a small salad--I've never had French sausage, which I would describe as a thick salami almost, but the omelet itself was a nice portion and the brie made it super creamy. Tom went with the marinated skirt steak with scrambled eggs and potatoes--steak portion was small unfortunately but had a nice flavor to it, eggs were good and the potatoes were ok. For dessert, we both went with vanilla ice cream, served in a martini glass--2 small scoops but a nice finish to our meal.

Overall, we had a nice brunch but nothing to rush back down there for--we prefer the laid-back buffet style brunches. The staff was pleasant, but maybe slightly overwhelmed, as there were two private parties going on in the restaurant at the same time along with the brunch crowd. I'd give this place another shot--I could definitely see us coming back down here for a drink and a small bite at the bar, while enjoying the nice weather.

www.stonehouserestaurant.com

No comments: