Thursday, May 17, 2012

5/14/12-La Via Del Gusto, Manchester, CT

I have to thank Karin D. for pointing me in the direction of this place--it is a bit far for me to travel to all the time, but completely worth it if you're in the area.

Met Colleen for lunch at this little place and was so excited to give this place a go. The lovely man behind the counter was both charming and helpful and I trusted his judgement when building my combo sandwich, while Tom opted for the sopressata. We split the sandwiches, as is typical for us, and dived right in. The sopressata and a special italian cheese tasted absolutely amazing, nicely complimented by the light red pepper spread that they make in house; same with my combo, made with sopressata, ham and salami. Both grinders came out nicely warmed on a great bread and were quickly devoured. The sandwiches are a bit on the pricey side, but the top-shelf ingredients and special touches make it totally worth it. Colleen decided on sweets for her lunch, having two chocolate-dipped strawberries and a lobster tail. After Tom and I finished our sandwiches, we definitely couldn't fit dessert too, so we opted to get lobster tails and cannolis to go (the cannolis may not be in the case--that is because they make them FRESH while you are waiting! The lady behind the counter gave us a taste of the cannoli cream before we ordered ours--it is heavenly!) Even though I didn't have room for the lovely desserts, I had room for Italian Ice--strawberry for Colleen, lemon for me--at $1.50 for a small, the price is perfect for such a delicate treat.

I waited a few days to write this review so I could tell you about the cannolis and lobster tails that we brought home--ohhhh my goodness. I am glad I live far, else I would want to stop here way too often for these desserts. Trust me--they taste as amazing as they look!

This place is set back from the road and is easy to pass right by, so keep an eye out for it! There isn't a big sign that says the name, look for Strano's instead. Stop in next time you're in the area, you'll love it--the staff makes you feel right at home!

No comments: