Sunday, October 2, 2011

10/2/11-Merritt Canteen, Bridgeport, CT

This place is what America is all about--burgers, hot dogs, fried food and milkshakes.

My partner and I were instructed to post in the city so we decided to grab lunch while we could. While debating what to have for lunch today, I remembered that there was some place in Bridgeport that had been featured on the Food Network so after looking up the address, we decided to head over. Reading a few reviews, it was clear this place is a favorite for many people and I can see why now.

After waiting a short time in line, I stepped up to the counter and rattled off my order. Without typing anything up or writing anything down, the girl shouted my order to the kitchen and a few minutes later my order was bagged up, exactly as I ordered it--impressive! I had a bison cheeseburger (perfectly cooked, great flavor and how many places can you get bison?!), a chili dog (they are not kidding, folks, this dog has got some heat but don't let that deter you, it tastes great, too!), french fries (standard issue, a bit soggy and almost undercooked for me) and to wash it all down, a black and white milkshake. With a meal like that, I didn't eat anything the rest of the day! My partner followed suit, with a chili cheesedog, a bacon, egg and cheeseburger, onion rings and a chocolate milkshake. We were one well-fed happy ambulance crew today (and that truly is an unusual thing in this business!). We hope to be back here and I'd suggest it to anyone in the area--they've been around for decades, so they've gotta be doing something right!

www.merrittcanteen.com

No comments: