Saturday, October 22, 2011

10/17/11-J. Gilbert's, Glastonbury, CT

My favorite fine-dining partner, Sheri, came out with me tonight to J. Gilbert's because they sent me a coupon for my birthday--so excited to try this place out! This place is beautiful, from the landscaping to the power-lunch, romantically cozy interior.

Our server, who was helpful and charming, guided us in our first visit to an excellent dining experience. Sheri started with the Maryland Crab Bisque, while I had the Caesar Salad--both were nicely presented and portioned. Bread was also brought out for us to enjoy, which was crusty and soft. On to our entrees! I had the special--two 4 oz. filets with a red wine reduction demi glace, cooked to my choice of medium-rare, served with a grilled bbq shrip skewer, asparagus and white cheddar chipotle mashed potatoes--phew! Again, everything was beautifully presented, the filets were cooked to perfection with a slightly woodsy hint on both the filets and the shrimp. Asparagus was also nicely done. The mashed potatoes were only slightly disappointing--maybe they sat a bit longer than anticipated, but they just weren't as spectacular as I had hoped for. Sheri also had filet, cooked rare, with asparagus, lobster mac n'cheese and seared George's Bank scallops. Her dish was excellent also, with her filet cooked to her order--her downside with the lobster mac, which really only had one or two good sized pieces of lobster in it, but the taste was pretty good. My dinner was also nicely pared with a red zinfandel, which I enjoyed and thought was a nice compliment.

Dinner wouldn't be complete without a dessert (and I'm such a sucker for a dessert tray!) so we went with the Chocolate Velvet cake--moist chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, banana liqueur, chocolate ganache, crème anglaise--pure heave on a plate! Sheri also had a "Nutty Irishman" coffee, with frangelico and baileys--it smelled so good!

I know Tom was jealous he didn't get to come with us, so I'm sure that I'll return! Great place for a date night!

www.jgilberts.com

No comments: