Thursday, December 30, 2010

12/19/10-Lao SzeChuan, Milford, CT

It has been far too long since I've last had authentic Szechuan and I was glad to finally return (and Tom has been dying to try this place too). Again, just as the last time I was here, 3/4 of the clientele was Asian--that's the sign of good things to come.

I couldn't resist but ordering the item that made me fall in love with this place--Szechuan dumplings in red chili oil--sweet in the beginning, growing hotter as you go, beyond amazing. I also had the spicy dan dan noodles with minced pork--I think this had more heat than the dumplings! Amazingly tangy and spicy, priced right, really happy with my selections. Tom went for the brisket of beef with green bean and noodles--it arrived bubbling hot over a heat source sitting in a slightly spicy red sauce. Funny--Tom thought that the waitress had asked if he wanted tenderloin, he said yes. Turns out, she was saying "tendon"--brisket of beef that came with the tendons. As surprised as he was, he actually really enjoyed his dish.

The menu is extensive, from americanized classics to the unusual, such as frogs legs, eel and tripe. You are truly in for an experience coming here, one you will want to take your friends to just so you can dine again. Anyone want to go with me?

No comments: