Sunday, October 25, 2009

10/25/09-Besito, West Hartford, CT

I have been looking forward to trying this restaurant ever since I heard about it. Luckily, Sheri and I were due to have lunch and she had recently asked for tequila recommendations, so I was more than happy to suggest trying this place out.

Located in the old town hall at Blue Back Square, the high ceilings and chic decor really give it a great ambiance. It was pouring rain and the lunch crowd was sparse when we arrived, hence we were seated quickly and servers were right on top of their game. Glasses of water and a basket of chips and salsa were brought to the table and our drinks arrived shortly thereafter--Sheri had the Besito Tequila Mojito, a different taste than the traditonal mojito but a very smooth flavor; I had the Besito Patron Margarita, which was unlike any other margarita I've ever had, with the tangerine and pomegranate flavors that gave the drink a light fruity taste, very pleasing. For our appetizer, we chose the Flautas de Pollo--two crispy flautas topped with crema and queso fresco, nicely done. For our entrees, Sheri chose the Ceviche del Dia, which was shrimp--served in a small martini glass surrounded with plantains and tortillas for serving--the ceviche seemed to have mango in it, giving it a nice sweet flavor. I had the Enchiladas de Mole Poblano--best I've had since Mexico. The mole sauce was spot-on authentic, the chicken tender and the queso fresco on top just added to it all. This meal really made me miss being in Mexico. At least, now I know where to go when I need my enchilada fix!

At the end of our meal, complimentary cinnamon sugar churros were brought to the table, warm and in a simple white paper bag. We were also given "worry dolls"--tiny little figures that our server told us we were to tell all of our worries to before we went to bed--a nice touch. In all, the best Mexican food I've had since Mexico and probably one of the top restaurants I've been to. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for great Mexican food.

www.besitomex.com

No comments: